Moving Checklist and Tips
One of the most important things when moving is to manage your time wisely and plan ahead of time. This will help make moving go a lot more smoother and will save a lot more time in the process. We suggest that you start packing and labeling boxes as early as possible or save yourself the trouble and relax; let us do the packing and cleaning for you and be sure to have The Smooth Movers booked in advance.
6 to 8 weeks before your move
- Prepare inventory of your house
- Plan floor layout in new home for furnishings.
- Arrange for school transfer
- Keep all moving related expenses for tax purposes.
- Transfer medical and bank information to new offices and institutions.
- Plan garage sale in two weeks to offset moving costs.
- Clean out all closets and drawers.
4 weeks before your move
- Contact The Smooth Movers to schedule services.
- Reserve a moving truck.
- Reserve a storage unit if needed.
- Get a change of address form from your local Post Office or fill one out online.
- Contact utility companies to stop, start and/or transfer services.
- Get moving boxes and supplies for packing.
- Return all rented and borrowed items - movies, books, etc.
- Sell or donate items – reducing time needed for packing and moving.
- Make any minor repairs required.
2 weeks before your move
- Confirm rental truck, moving service and storage unit.
- Continue packing and labeling boxes.
- Return all videos and library books.
- Cancel local newspaper and other regular deliveries.
1 week before your move
- Do walk inspection of house for any outstanding repairs.
- Drain any items with flammable materials.
- Pick up any dry cleaning and laundry.
- Pack a box with essential items for your first night at your new home.
- Clean your home as much as possible before moving helpers arrive.
- Gather keys, alarm codes and garage door openers for new owner.